Licorice root is one of the most ubiquitous herbs in the practice of Chinese Herbal Medicine. It is sweet in taste and has a neutral to warm thermal property in the body.
Licorice root is said to have an effect on every energetic system in the body. Some of the many functions of Licorice Root are:
1. Strengthens Qi (our day-to-day energy); used to treat fatigue, shortness of breath, digestive upset, and decreased appetite.
2. Strengthens the Qi of the Heart; used to treat palpitations, emotional instability, insomnia, and uncontrolled/irrational fear.
3. Moistens the Lungs and stops coughing.
4. Relieves cramps and stops pain, especially for muscle cramping in the abdomen/intestines and legs.
5. Clears toxins trapped in the body that manifest as sores, ulcers, burns, and sore throat.
6. Used as an antidote for poisoning; used for various types of food, drug, metal, and other toxins.
7. Protects the body (especially digestive function) from harsh herbs that may be used in conjunction with licorice root in an herbal formula.
8. Balances all herbs within an herbal formula.
It also tastes delicious!
Because licorice root has been shown to increase blood pressure, however, it is NOT used in those who have hypertension.